Sunday, February 6, 2011

February 2 - 6th, 2011: First week at School and More Beach Time....

Fisherman's Wharf, Freemantle
Well, I am happy to report that the kids' and Tom's first week back at school and work went fairly well. The kids were excited about school the first day and then reality set in a bit. It is all new to them. Rein thinks his new teacher is quite strict but by the end of the week he seemed happy with his new classmates and feels that his new teacher will be alright. Rein still rates you # 1, Mr. Lloyd! AND he still misses his buddies back home.
Silka enjoyed her first few days with just a minor hiccup on Friday morning. She didn't want mom to go and I carefully extracted myself from her vise grip arms and shed a few tears walking home. I had a moment of wondering what we were doing here but that quickly faded as I went about my day. Apparently, Silka was fine within 5 minutes of my departure. She made her own "rest-time" pillow with her class that I helped her finish sewing on Friday evening.
Kaili's Fish Market
We headed to Floreat beach on Friday evening after Tom got home and the kids and I got back from the neighbourhood park. I had prepared everything for a picnic dinner earlier in the day. Tom and the kids enjoyed a swim while I read the paper - I still wasn't feeling all that well recovering from a flu I had a few days before. Some Aussies were barbecuing and told Tom to "jump right in" with his steaks. We enjoyed a great meal as the sun went down with a bottle of wine (yes, Canadian friends and family, you can bring beer and wine to the beach barbecues here!). The kids played soccer and ate ice cream while Tom and I talked with an Australian teacher and his buddy. We left that night with an offer to go fishing with them one weekend. We have decided to make the beach barbecue a Friday night ritual.




Little Creatures Brewery, Fisherman's
Wharf, Freemantle

We enjoyed a quiet day Saturday and then met up with two other Canadian families on exchange at South Beach for a swim and a picnic. The water was quiet and we all swam out to a pontoon together and sat and talked while the kids jumped off and swam around us. We hit the Freemantle markets just before they closed to stock up on our fruit supplies and share a delicious organic donut. We then headed to the fisherman's wharf and picked up 2 kilos of Mussels for dinner which we enjoyed on our back patio. Cheers everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment