Friday, May 4, 2012

April: A month of Birthdays and those darn taxes!

Black Beard's crew eating "shark bait"
Well, I breathe a sigh of relief that April is over...
First Mate, Lester Crabby cakes
However, when I think back I always end up realizing that I had so much fun in the end (except for the frantic scramble to get our taxes in by the deadline). Tom and I apparently were successful in conceiving our children in the heat of July, hence the two rapscallions arriving the following April. And many of our family members and friends also decided on April as the month of their birth into this world - my mom and her twin, Aunt Tacos, my mother-in-law, Tiiu, our close friends, Kelly and Ruby, and our cousin, Nicholas. I am sure I am forgetting someone....Needless to say, I was busy planning birthday parties.
Rein decided on a sleep over and we were adamant that he was not having 7 boys like he had in Australia. So, I ended up settling on 5 boys. I will quote Tom's response: "Are you crazy? Did you not learn the first time? Remember they didn't go to bed until almost five in the morning?" Well, apparently not. Luckily 2 of the boys were not able to attend, so were were down to 3 sleeping over. Phew - that was way more manageable. They went climbing at the "Boiler Room" in Kingston and then came home to an evening of pizza making and movie watching. We were pleasantly surprised that the boys were asleep by about 11 p.m. Sorry no pictures of Rein's birthday celebrations....
There was a lot more planning for Silka's party. She wanted to have a pirate party which she decided should be a pirate tea party the day before the event. I explained to her the pirate crew at her party doesn't drink tea - they like eating the left over "shark bait" and fizzy juice. That seemed to be OK with her. When the kids arrived and stepped through our door they assumed their pirate identities. Silka's (Captain black Beard) crew were: Lester Crabby Cakes, Crusty, Hammerhead, Shark Tooth, Jack Sparrow, Oyster Ears, Salty Dog, Peg Leg, Squid Lips, Fish Breath and Swashbuckler. Once they were suited up with their hats, swords and beards, moustaches and/or scars they looked like a formidable bunch. They were challenged with various activities to prove their mettle and they didn't disappoint their captain. They partook in a sword race, a balloon popping race (Blackbeard's favourite), a hunt for buried treasure and a competition to see who could walk the farthest on the plank. First mate, Lester Crabby Cake's voice was nearly gone at the end from bellowing out AArrgghh! and "I don't want to have to make you walk the plank!" throughout the day. It was fun! Kids birthdays are done for another year....


No comments:

Post a Comment